Social Media Today stats demonstrating power blogging wields online, despite increased saturation.
10 Blogging Commandments
- Write about what matters to you
- Don’t be too formal
- Edit it yourself
- Avoid clichés
- Remember to spell check
- Make layout easy to read
- Use lists to maximise impact
- Keep it visually fresh by varying the mixture of text and image
- Use a compelling headline
- Practise makes perfect
7 Essential Elements of a Perfect Blog
- Headline: the 6 words that count most
- Storytelling hook
- Fewer characters per line at first
- Featured image
- Subheads for scanning
- Content and the 1,500-word sweet spot
- Soundbites for sharing
Blog Topics and Ideas
- 7 tips for
- 6 outsider tricks which
- 7 steps to
- How the …
- 9 ways that
- Step by step approach to better / effective / more productive
- 2 reasons that
- 3 killer questions that
- 4 pitfalls that every
- ABC’s of
- Pick a letter of the alphabet and do same for 26 days
- What’s trending?
- Who was born this day / event that happened this day?
- What’s in the news
- Regulations that all XYZ must consider before XYZ
- 3 ways that you know that
3 top tips:
- Give numbers the bigger the better AND place them at the start of the headline. Use 5 not five for example.
- Great headlines: people want to be taught something, get smarter. Ditch How to’s. Be specific eg 5 minute guide to organizing your day for more focus and productivity AND indicate that it is an in depth piece.
- Words in headline that help posts go viral: smart, surprising, science, history, hacks, hacking hackers, huge, big, critical