Global Cultural Competency
How culturally competent are you?
Thank you to Dr. Aikyna Finch, PCC for being our guide during a 2 hour webinar organised by ICF (International Coaching Federation).
- We travelled to new places.
- We discovered that intent is crucial.
- “Just ask” was such an obvious hot tip.
- We explored where we were / are on the Cultural Competency Continuum.
We appreciated that we were highly likely to move along the continuum from … cultural destructiveness > < cultural incapacity > < cultural blindness >
< cultural pre-competence > < cultural competence > < cultural proficiency <
Complexity for sure as not only individuals also organisations of all kinds to take into account.
I came up with the metaphor of a negative being developed & being curious as to what image / photograph would emerge. And that image could change over time depending on the processes of development.
- We are / I am always developing.
- A cultural competency is a work in process.
- Every new / different situation / experience will bring up challenges to our cultural competency.
- Be present.
- Be in the moment.
- Be engaged & interactive.
- Respect others’ ideas & viewpoints.
Culture = a way of life or group of people.
Culture = knowledge / awareness / sensitivity.
Everyone’s culture is different.
We need to be open to that difference & respectful of that difference.